Monday, November 3, 2008

On the Eve of the Election, a Prayer



Election Benediction
(a non-secular election prayer)

I admit, I don't pray very often.
I prayed when my children were born
that they be healthy and whole.
I prayed when my daughter got sick,
when all of the doctors and all of the treatments
couldn't make her better.
And I prayed when, finally, she was well again
in profound thanksgiving.

When my son sang his heart out in his first high school play
I prayed to be deserving of the joy that filled my heart,
hearing his confident voice, watching his agile body.
I prayed when he went off to college
and I prayed on September 11th
when he called from his New York apartment.
And when his father and sister went to New Orleans to help, I prayed then, too.

I've prayed when I've been most afraid,
bone tired or thoroughly spent.
I know you're supposed to pray more than that-
more frequently, more selflessly.
I acknowledge my negligence in the realm of spiritual correctness.
And I'm sure there are others like me
who mostly look to God when out of luck or out of time.
(I bet God understands that about people.)

These days I have a new prayer practice
One born of hope, not fear.
These days I pray for America
and I pray for Barack Obama.
I pray for his wife who sustains him,
for his children and all of our children,
who compel him to reach for the heights he is seeking.
I pray for him to win the election
because even though my religious adherence has been minimal
I know a miracle when I see one.
The man is not the miracle.
Through the confluence of hope and history,
the miracle is the capacity he creates to inspire so many millions of us
to engage again, or for the first time,
in our nation's political process - 
to work together for peace, for prosperity, and for the planet.

I never sang, "God Bless America" unless I had to in school.
It seemed arrogant to me, like asking for divine special treatment.
Bless America instead of India?  Not Peru or Mozambique?
"This Land is Your Land," was my patriotic favorite.
I'm older now.  The bifocals I wear make it easier to see shades of gray
and stand, like everyone else, with my hand on my heart
when the band plays loud martial songs.

My prayer is nonsectarian.
"Baruch atah adonai," it begins, because that's how I first learned to pray.
And then, tentatively, I say it,
"Please God, bless America.
Help people get to the polls.
Help others to count the votes fairly.
No fraud this time, or intimidation
no Florida hanging chads.
Help us move closer to the dream, closer to the promise of our creed."

I teach in a wonderful public school with kids of all colors and faiths.
I borrow their words when I need them,
in Arabic, Creole, Chinese.
"Tal ouy ban sac, Barack Obama," I say in Khmer to end my prayer.
"Vaya con Dios," the same thought but in Spanish.
God be with you, Barack Obama.
I'm hoping to cover all bases.
Whether the way is a cross or a crescent,
Whether Allah, Loving Kindness, or Christ
Bless audacity.
Bless hope.
Amen.


Written by Susan Markman, Pelham, MA 2008

No comments: