Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Music Make You Lose Kontroll




Hungarian filmmaker Nimrod (Neem-Rode) Antal's movie Kontroll is one of my favorites. When I was getting my haircut I was asked what my favorite movies were and so many came to mind that none of them came out of my mouth--that feeling that as soon as you're called upon to opine on something on which you're expert, you totally choke. But now, in the aftermath, I can with a cool head say that Kontroll is totally up there.



I made Kate put it in her queue (we watched it the other night) and again I was struck by how beautiful and gritty and visually unconventional it was. The writing is top, the characterizations hilarious and human, and it was shot entirely underground in the Budapest subway system. The story just never stops rolling.

That's it. (Aside from the fact that every time I brought it up with her, Kate would sing, "Music make you lose Kon-troll," in a German accent.)

No comments: