Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Elephant Man

So in between running around town like a madman trying to feed Alvaro's rabbit and go to the gym and put my reel together and catch up with friends and rehearse this play I found myself at the Jefferson Market Library.  They have a good drama section although you can't really argue with the Lincoln Center Performing Arts Library (ever since seeing Good Will Hunting I've thought going to the library was awesome--probably before that, actually: I went on my first ever date at the Jones Library in my hometown).  Anyway, I was returning Topdog/Underdog, Valparaiso and A Life in the Theater (it was a good haul, all very good reads) and I got out The Elephant Man by Bernard Pomerance.

I read it in Union Square on a bench in about 45 minutes and my god this play turned me upside down.  It's a very experimental language play for the seventies and it reminded me a lot of Suzan-Lori Parks' Venus (naturally, what with the freakshow aspect), and although it's not crazy deep with the character building, the themes and use of subtext are some of the most significant I've seen in the past few years.  Yes, years.  Some Pinter comes in the same orbit, but the Pinter I've been reading of late (at the Perf. Arts Library no less) is all classic stuff.

Topics covered include the nature of altruism, social performance, the effects of capitalism on decency, what constitutes mercy, and religion's place in a world of commonplace horror.  From the back cover:

"During it's opening season, The Elephant Man won all the major drama awards including three Tonys, three Obies, The Drama Desk Award, and the New York Drama Critics Circle Award."


No shit.  I had never heard of this guy before and here he is winning everything under the sun.  Apparently, Billy Crudup did it on Broadway a few years ago, too.   I see the picture in the bathroom at Telsey, but I have no idea whether that was good or not.  Wish I had a patron now more than ever.  How else am I gonna see this stuff?

1 comment:

Philucifer said...

And I just found out recently that David Bowie replaced the original actor on Broadway for part of the run. Google it on Youtube and you'll find some of the footage.

It's been one of my favorites since I was much younger.

Patrick