Thursday, May 15, 2008

Stand Up To Cancer PSA Diary: Day Two

Day Two consisted of meeting up at Lincoln Center at 9am and shooting a segment with Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton, Orlando, The Beach).  We played high society patrons of the ballet who walk through the lobby and then stop and turn to the camera in support of Tilda's move to stand strong.  The story as I heard it was that Tilda was late and that's why we broke for lunch at 11:30 without having shot a single thing.   I didn't get that close a look, but I caught her trademark flaming red hair and white tights from the back of the room.  

After that it was down to the Bethesda Fountain in the Park for a segment with Morgan Freeman (You know his movies, okay?).  I actually got a little star-struck for the first time when he walked in.  When I realized who it was, the words "Holy Shit, that's him!" came out of my mouth without me even though i knew what was happening.  It was like I was a stranger watching myself from across the courtyard and thinking, "Hmm, that dude right there is star-struck."  

This shot was all of us in the fountain courtyard with props like magazines, copies of the Post and Times, and even a fake baby carriage with fake baby inside.  Actually, there was one of those on the first day, too and as we were shooting at the fountain a bunch of bystanders asked to participate and I'm not sure now if the young couple with the baby carriage were real or not.  Shooting in public was a trip there because there were a ton of tour groups and newlyweds constantly pouring in in the middle of shooting trying to take their own pictures.  I felt bad, but we actually weren't there that long.  And they got to see Morgan Freeman in person.  Zzzzz!

It was a good day despite not winning anything in the raffle they did after we wrapped.  Someone one a real crystal bowl while everyone else won stuff like Spider-Man umbrellas and bags.  The day before someone won a digital camcorder!  It was all donated which was cool and it was also a nice way for the sponsors to say thank you to us.  But alas, no Spider-Man umbrella was won that day.  

I also didn't get a chance to re-do my portion of the Manifesto which I was kind of hoping would happen.  I thought, "I'll just be visible and look like my allergies are fine, and then BAM!  Out of good will they'll ask me to do it again under optimum conditions..."  This did not happen.  I spent the day pretty much a glorified extra but it was all for the good.  The work takes its own course and this was a good cause, so I was happy to take part. 

No comments: