Sunday, February 10, 2008

Stopping and Starting

I tried to maintain a blog before on myspace and it just wasn't as sexy as this one.  I couldn't keep up with it and all the millions of friends, so I think this will be my new forum for telling the world what my take on things is.  Now that I got those comments about 2001/2010 out of my head I guess I can start with the mission statement for this new one.  Does this go at the top under the blog title?  I don't know.  I do know I love talking about movies I've seen and what's going on in the world and drawing connections to the lives of people I know.  The future of art.  What makes something worthwhile.  
Since much of my work as an actor involves seeing shows and thinking critically about them, I'll include great performances and writing I come across here but probably leave out negative reviews.  Never say never, but ultimately it's just not doing anyone any good to rip apart a production that's not successful when all any of us are trying to do is make art together.  Some critics (which I am not) sell papers by writing hilariously catty and/or scathing reviews of shows and pour their writing talent into destroying a company's two months of low-paying, gut-busting hard work.  I do not believe in this.  The theatre is the last place in the world anyone should be trying to encourage back-biting or competition.  Most theatrical criticism cripples artists and destroys risk-taking.  I'll be firm but fair--like the best bosses.
Film is a completely different story.  Most commercial films are a colossal waste of energy and resources.  It's not that there is no artistry involved (every member of a film crew is doing a ton of specialized work) but the work is, in fact, so specialized that the artisans are divorced from the content itself and make superficial movies that are well-made.  The people whose job it is to make sure the story is any good are usually bankers and money men.  The product that emerges from everyone's hard work is usually all fucked up by calculations at the highest levels of what will sell to the most people.  There's too much money and talent involved for the industry to not get some of my scorn for these kinds of bad, bad decisions.  If it deserves it, it's gonna get it.  Hopefully, as I get older and wiser, I'm also becoming more attuned to what has merit, and I shouldn't have to skewer anything too often.  Making a stand about what you're willing to pay for and put up with is the only thing that will make them listen out there.

 

No comments: